Mechanics is the study of motion, forces, and energy
- Motionis the action of changing location or position.
- A forceis any interaction that causes a change in motion, shape, or energy.
- A system possesses energyif it has the ability to do work.
(Work is done when a force causes a change in the energy of a system.)
- Mechanics can be divided into sub-disciplines.
- Kinematicsis the branch of mechanics that deals with motion without regard to forces or energy.
- Dynamicsis the branch of mechanics that deals with motion and forces
- Staticsis the branch of mechanics that deals with forces in the absence of changes in motion or energy.
- The work-energy theoremis the central principle of mechanics that relates forces and energy.
- The conservation of energyis the central principle of science that deals with energy in all of its forms.
- Kinetic energyis the term that refers to all forms of energy due to motion.
- There are several types of motion…
- Translationalmotion results in a change of location.
- Oscillatorymotion is repetitive and fluctuates between two locations.
- Rotationalmotion occurs when an object spins.
- Randommotion is unpredictable in practice or theory.