- Newton’s third law of motion (also known as the law of action-reaction) states that…
- for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
- A force is an interaction between two objects.
- Forces always occur in pairs that…
- are arbitrarily assigned the names action and reaction,
- are of the same type,
- have the same magnitude,
- act on different objects,
- act in opposite directions, and
- may have different effects (since acceleration is inversely proportional to mass).
- Supplementary Materials
- Original statement in Latin from Newton’s Principia with English translation